Frederick James Webley (1856-1946)

Life History

Typed for this website by Shirley Swensen Turley


My father’s name was James Webley; he was born about 1827 in Cheltenham, Gloucester, England and died 1 No. 1901.

Mother’s maiden name was Ann Joyner, the fourth child of Thomas Joyner and Hannah Page. She was born on the 3rd of July, 1830, died 9 Jan. 1907 in Cheltenham.

They were married on the 18th of January, 1850 at Prestbury Parish Church near Cheltenham, Glouscester, England by Rev. J. Edwards, vicar, and their first child George Webley was born on the 18th of December 1850.

Alfred was born 16 June 1852
Freddy was born about 1854, died about 1855
Frederick James was born 17 July 1856 (Died 3 May 1946)
Louisa Jane was born 24 Jan. 1863, spinster
Alice Hannah was born 2 March 1865, m. Eli Hill
Frank Arthur was born 17 April 1869, died Oct. 28, 1932 m. Edie Brown
Annie was born 9 Sept. 1871, m. George Radford
Jennie Emily Jane was born 20 Nov. 1875, m. Charley Gwilliam two
children Sonny d. abt 1915 Frank

I do not remember either Granfather or Grandmother Webley. There was some mystery that could not be unraveled connected with them.

Grandfather Joyner in his younger days had signed a bond for a friend, and this friend defaulted, and the bondsman became liable. Not having the money and being subject to imprisonment for the debt he had innocently assumed, Grandfather risked the journey and came to America, and was lost to him family and was never heard from afterwards.

Grandmother Hannah Page Joyner was born in 1784, died about 1868. I was her special favorite and she would take me visiting to different places and as I grew older, she would take me with her very often to the city of Gloucester and we would always visit the Cathedral and attend divine service there, where I would be entranced by the singing of the surpliced choir of boys and men, and the heavenly strains of the organ. Then we would walk around and visit the cloisters and monuments, admire the wonderful architecture of the building, with its stone column and pillars which supported the stone ceiling and roof. Outside was the monument erected for Bishop Hooper, who was burned to death on that spot by the Roman Catholics in the days of Queen Anne. Dr. Jenner’s monument was there and on it was related his great discovery of smallpox remedy.

Then we would visit the docks and see the ships coming and going on the River Severn, and would sit in a boat and eat buns and drink ginger beer and I would ask all kinds of questions. We would make our way back to the train and arrive home at Cheltenham happy and tired out. Her house adjoined our, 22 Sun St., so we were daily together. She died in 1868 when I was about 12 years old.

My father was employed at the Cheltenham Gas Works, first as a coachman for the manager, Mr. Essen, later on he worked with the gas fitters. He was well liked on account of his jovial disposition, and had many friends; and he and mother attended the Prestbyterian Church generally. He raised vegetables and like to work in our garden and we enjoyed it also. Us children thought a great deal of our parents, and did all we could to help, and were brought up to study and be very industrious, and to attend to our school and Church of England services.

Mother was a very hard working woman and had to sew and mend, by hand, till late at night, by the light of a dim candle to keep us all properly clothed, as father’s wages were small. We were all very happy at home. I well remember my mother teaching me to pray at her knee and to recite passages of scripture, and Grandmother Joyner, in later years, have us all a gift of money when we would repeat a chapter from the Bible to her, at Christmas time and other occasions. On Christmas and New Years morning she would insist that us boys should o over to her house first, when we would receive our gifts from her, then our sisters were allowed to enter for their gifts, and we would sin carols. Grandmother was engaged in St. Peter’s Church to assist in capacity of usher and helped to seat the people as they came in to the services.

I attended the Gas Green School first, then went to the St. Mary’s Parish Church School, where I was taught by various teachers, under schoolmaster John Lane. He died, and Francis Frederick Wheeler succeeded him. (I have done the Temple work for both schoolmasters, and others and some ministers also.) He was a fine man and very strict, and well liked by the scholars. He also instructed us in singing and we all enjoyed those lessons very much. My brother Alfred had a wonderful falsetto voice and was in great demand to sing at concerts. Later, with some musical freinds, organized an Amateur Minstrel Show, which was quite a creditable one. Alfred was a femal impersonator, and dressed up and sang like a lady and gained great credit thereby. He also played the banjo and sang in St. Peter’s Church for some time and occasionally in Swindon Church where our cousin William Pincott, was organist. My oldest brother, George, was also a comic singer and dressed up in character.

Alfred was a tinner and zinc worker, George was an assistant in the druggist stores, and both emigrated to New Zealand about 1873. They went to Australia a little later on, and that was the last mother heard from them. Mother’s cousins had gone to Australia years before to the gold diggings, and had engaged in the sheep business. Their name was Joyner.

My special friends were Jimmy Gibbs, Bill Eldredge, Charlie Moulder, Harry Wilcox, Bill Bastin, Ted Sheen, Dick Betteridge, and Jim Miller. The last four I enjoyed visiting while on my mission to England in 1921 - 23, the others having died.

I was a choir boy in St. Mary’s Parish Church about fine years, and always enjoyed singing and chanting in that capacity, and had many boy friends. My pal was Harry Ricketts.

At the age of 17 I was apprenticed to Horace Edwards as a printer at 396 High Street, Cheltenham, to serve seven years. After serving five years, I began to get restless on account of the class of work I was doing, and wanted to improve my condition. I had left the church choir by this time, and was attending St. Luke’s Night school, which I enjoyed very much. My companion was Harry Dodwell, and as some of our friend s had obtained work in Birmingham, and returned home occasionally and gave us such glowing descriptions of the opportunities there, we decided to try our luck. But I was an apprentice, and I knew my parents would not agree to my leaving home, but I finally decided to go with Harry. So on the second Sunday in August, 1875, I sat down at the dinner table, after dinner, and wrote a letter to my mother. She was right then in the room. It was a hard job for me to do it. I intended to mail it on my way to the railroad station, so that she would receive it next morning, telling her that I had left home and gone to friends, in order to better my condition; and told them not to worry, for I should be all right. I promised to let them know where I was, and how I was getting along. And asked mother to go and see my employer, Mr. Horace Edwards, and tell him she did not know where I had gone. She did so and he agreed to take no steps to bring me back.

I visited Horace Edwards & wife 45 years afterwards while I was on a mission in 1923 and he treated me fine and also my companion Elder Wendel Anderson. We were invited to take tea with them, and we explained the Gospel message and they were much interested in the pictures of Salt Lake and Utah. We visited there several times afterwards and were always made welcome.

On Sunday evening after writing my letter, on my way to the station I met my dear Aunt Jane Joyner, and she asked me to go to St. Peters Church with her, but I told her I had to meet Harry, as we were going somewhere and bade her goodbye. Meeting Harry Dodwell, we secured our tickets to Birmingham, and off we went on our adventure. We were not burdened with luggage. In fact all that I had was an extra shirt and collars that I bundled in a handkerchief, and carried it inside my vest, so that no one could tell that I was a runaway. At New Street Station, Birmingham, we were met by our friends, who took us to some lodgings, where we stayed for the night.

Next morning, bright and early, we arose and made our way to the Market Hall, where we had our breakfast. Then we looked around the town, and going to the Library we scanned the daily papers to try and find a job, as we had very little money between us. But we had to find a place to live in, as the one we had slept in the first night did not suit us. We walked in company with two more of our companions, for miles, and saw a great many sights - factories, shops, large buildings, gun works, button factories, etc. which were all very interesting. Occasionally we would inquire for work, but found none; but we kept up our spirits, as we had a few shillings in our pockets, and had faith as well. We wandered around till we got to Bridge Street North, where we found a house with a sign of “lodgings” in the window. We were told we could live there, and were shown to our room, which was nice and clean. We deposited a week’s rent, and left our luggage (mine was contained in a handkerchief, and Harry had a bundle) then we went to a show near by and bought bread butter and tea, and with fried fish we had a good meal and retired upstairs tired out. The landlady, Mrs. Fulford, was a sympathetic old soul, who liked her “drops” (beer) warmed on the “hob”. Her husband was an army pensioner, who got hilariously full when he drew his monthly pension, but he was a good natured old man having served in the Punjaub India during the India Mutiny. After calling at various printing offices to try and get work, I finally was employed at the Good Templars Grand Lodge printing office, for a month or two, at a small wage.

Harry Dodwell obtained work as a watchman in a jewelry store on High St. and later on was employed at a lumber mill. A new acquaintance by the name of Arthur Davis, printer, asked me to go to work at Wednesbury on the Herald. This town is about 12 or 14 miles from Birmingham, and I accepted the situation and set type on that weekly paper. I would return to Birmingham Saturday afternoon to the boys and go back Sunday night so as to be ready for work Monday. I was at work on price work and did quite well.

Early in February 1876, while in Birmingham on my usual week end visit at Mrs. Fulford’s where my boy friends ladged, the landlady gave a birthday party for her daughter and invited Eliza Julie Teakle and Sarah Lingard, her bosom friend, to meet Harry Dodwell and myself at the party. These two girls came after attending their Sunday School, and I well remember their appearance, as Eliza opened the door, and with smiling faces came to greet us. While we had been waiting for their coming, we had been singing hymns and songs, so after proper introductions we all joined in singing till tea time, when with other companions, Ted Skeen, Bill Baughn, Ted Hickey, and some girls, we had a jolly meal together, which none of us ever forgot. As the hour came for me to come down to earth and return to Wednesbury, we all bade each other goodbye, with the understanding that we meet at Fulfords’ the following Saturday, that is Harry and I and Eliza and Sarah, which we did. I took Eliza home Saturday night and she introduced me to her parents who invited me to tea next day. Thus began our courtship which resulted in my marrying Eliza Sunday 12 May 1877 at St. Stephens Church by Reb. J. Reynolds - Geo. Smith best man, Hannah Teakle Smith bridesmaid, about 15 months after.

My printer friend, Arthur Davis and I obtained work in Birmingham and we lodged together. I wanted to be near my girl. She was a comely lass, with light brown hair and blue eyes. She was forelady in the nail factory where George Smith was superintendent. He had married Hannah Teakle and lived at the factory. They buried a boy in Witton Cemetery. Lydia was born. They emigrated in 1877 to Zion.

Harry Dodwell left Birmingham a year or two after to go to Cheltenjam where he married. He became an enlisting sergeant but died in a few years. I did him work in the Temple.

Our first baby, whom we called Frederick James Thomas was born 28 Feb. 1878. While living on the Worcester Wharf in 1879 we decided to emigrate to Salt Lake, where Tom Teakle, Eliza’s brother, had gone and was doing well, as was also George & Hannah Smith. We had attended the Mormon meeting two or three times, but felt rather indifferent to its teachings, as I thought the Church of England was good enough for me, having been brought up in its teachings.

We went down to Cheltenham to bid my folks goodbye, taking Freddy with us. My mother was very much put out, and said: “go to any place on earth except Great Salt Lake among those dreadful Mormons. I wish I had buried you when you were young.” She got more reconciled before we left, and after a very affectionate adeu we returned to Brimingham. We sold up and gave away our household goods and with Fother and Mother Teakle, Eliza and our Freddy, we started for Liverpool. I went to the church office, secured the tickets, then bought our tinware, etc. and boarded the S. S. Wyoming. (Francis Cope & Henry Rolapp)

We were much interested in watching the sailors as they ran up the rigging to change the sails when the wind shifted as the Wyoming had sails and steam. There were about 800 or 900 emigrants aboard, and we made friends with the steward in the steerage. (Tid bits for Freddy, cute, white curly head) The Mormons were continually signing, with violins and cello, and I joined in with “Oh Babylon, we bid Thee Farewell” etc. and on Sunday attended the L.D.S. Services on deck, John Schofield bore a fine testimony, the first I had heard and it impressed me.

Church of Enland services were held in the morning also. I sent a letter to mogher from Qwcenster, Dublin as a packett brought letters and took ours back.

After a rough voyage, 9 days which caused us much sickness as the waves dashed over deck and came down steerage, we arrived at Castle Gardens, New York, all safe and sound. We put our blankets down on the floor of the building and each group slept till awakened next morning by an official banging a stick on the table. We took a walk outside the Gardens and saw some of the New York traffic. The Elevated Railroad was a new thing then, and was interesting to us.

We passed through the examination at the Gardens, and were on our way to the train,our luggage had preceded us, and we each had our tinware and hand luggage, and got on the train which was a very long one. The Pulman cars were new to us, and we enjoyed the plush seats and conveniences aboard. The scenery along the way was magnificent in places. The Horsh Shoe Bend in Pennsylvania and woods being impressive. We had to change cars two or three times on the way, and the farther west we came, the worse the cars were. At the ends of each car there was a small stove, and wood was provided so that we could warm water for our meals, and it took a long time to serve all the people in each car. The smoke stacks on the engines were very large, nearly three feet across.

Father Teakle “replenished” at about every stopping place.

Across the prairies, which seemed boundless, we sped, day after day, till we reached the Rockies, which were majestic. The large rivers, with their long bridges, we crossed and admired.

The last train had wooden seats and we slept on the “soft side of a plank” as one way said. Laramie was village then. Omaha was a small place. Cheyenne “city of the plains”.

Arriving at Ogden we were met by Tom Teakle, who brought us some refreshments that Hannah had made and sent us which we all enjoyed. Finally we reached Salt Lake City, and were met at the station by Hannah Smith, who welcomed us to their home in the 16th Ward, where we stayed for some weeks.

Father Teakle was a carpenter and he built a shop and stable on Geo. Smith’s lot; afterwards built a house for his son Tom.

I received part tithing and store orders for my work, occasionally a sack of flour and a load of wood for the stove.

George Smith and Tom Teakle both worked at the Z.C.M.I. in engine room and on elevator, and I worked about a week clearing up the cellar after the builders. Also worked poll tax cleaning ditches, and shoveling. There were few printing offices in 1879, but finally I obtained work at the Juvenile Instructor office under George Lambert, who paid me $7.5 a week at first. After some weeks, I was put on piece work, and made more money. Walter Lewis, Edwin and Henry Parry, and Sadie Asper also worked on the Juvenile.

We rented a two room house from John Cottam, a block away from the Smiths. I enjoyed my work and become well informed on the Mormon faith and met some of the Church leaders and writers. I set up type for the tract “The Plan of Salvation’ and many other works by Elder John Morgan from his manuscripts as he wrote them from time to time and through faith and prayer obtained a testimony of the turth. I was baptized 6 July 1880 by James Leatham. Our second baby, Frank Osborne, was born in 30 April 1880 and we were in very poor circumstances, but Eliza’s mother waited on her, and we got along all right. Nine months 10 Jan. 1881 Franki died with teething and other trouble and two weeks later, 24 Jan. 1881 Freddy died with Scarlet Fever. Their deaths made quite an impression on my wife a few months later she was baptized, and remained a very faithful Saint till her death. Freddy contracted Scarlet Fever from our enighbor’s child Jennie Ransome as they played together.

In 1881 Tom Teakle married Nellie Ransom in the Endowment House. Eliza and I accompanied them and we were sealed for time and all eternity, so later our four girls were born under the covenant. Tom and I were both ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood under the hands of Bishop Kesler and Counselors previously, and passed the Sacrament in the Old 16th Ward.

I was baptized 6 July 1880 by James Leatham in Salt Lake City, Utah
Ordained Deacon in 1882 - Bishop Kesler & Counselor
Ordained Elder 9 May 1882 Bro Allsworth & Jno Openshaw
Ordained Seventy 10 Oct. 1904 - Seymour B. Young
Ordained High Priest 27 Jan 1924 - Nephi L. Morris

My Aunt Jane Joyner left Cheltenham and came to Salt Lake City to visit us. She joined the Church 2 Sep. 1883 and remained faithful also. She was never married. She was my mother’s sister and in her younger days was engaged to be married to a naval officer, at Uncle George’s in London. He evidently met with foul play the day before the wedding, as he was never heard of afterwards. It was a tragedy for Aunt Jane.

About 1881 I started work on the Salt Lake Herald, and did night work for 10 years. During that time I worked on peice work, receiving 50 cents per 1000cms for setting up type and by the wise management of my wife, Eliza, we were enabled to secure a home from Stephen Newman where we lived for some year. Worked for the Utah Lithographic Co. Under John E. Evans till 1893. In 1893 we built a 5 room brick house, using some of the materials from the old house. Our family, consisting of Lily, Ethel, and Alice and my wife and I all made shift in a 12 x 12 shanty while the building was going on.

In 1893 the slump in silver came and I was thrown out of work, and we had just got the foundation for our new house dug out, and we had serious times, but by the blessings of the Lord, we weathered the storm. Many printers were walking the streets seeking work at this time.

The Temple was completed about this time, and Eliza and I were baptized and took endowments for all our known people and friends. We decided to save all the means we could so as to be able to spend our latter days in the Temple, but Eliza’s sickness prevented our desires being accomplished.

Finally we were enabled to get over our difficulties, and pay the contract price for our nw house. Our girl attended the Jackson School where Ethel graduated. Alice graduated at Union. I did odd jobs at various printing offices then went into partnership with the F. W. Gardiner Printing Co. and sold out a few years later to Chas. P. Jennings, after which I retired and had an I.T.U. pension of $36.00 a month. Our daughter Alice Ann married Robert Folland and Ethel Louise married R. George Powis in 1909. Alice lived next door north and Ethel next door south of our home, so we were all very happy together. In due time Bobby Folland was born, and Ethel had twins, Louise and Ethel Powis. Beby Ethel lived only about three weeks, but Louise struggled on, taking only a few drops of her mother’s mild from a medicine dropper at first till she grew stronger. Both babies were placed in clothes baskets, and had hot water bottles round them for a number of weeks. Ethel was never very robust after her confinement, and finally had tuberculosis of the spine which she patiently bore, and quite resigned, she sweetly passed away 16 Oct. 1916. George Powis and Louise lived with us for a while when he married Mabel Evans, and lived in his old home next door south which he bought.

In March 1919 I was taken with influenza. It had been raging the previous year, and thousands lost their lives all over the world, and I had administered to many the previous year; and the disease appeared stamped out, but I came down with it and was seriously ill with pneumonia. By administration of the brethren and by faith and prayer I was restored and devoted my life to the work of the Lord.

My dear wife died three years after Ethel 18 Oct. 1919 and I was bereft of a noble loving wife and true companion and our two girls of a wonderful mother, who by her sunny disposition and charitable love, endeared herself to all who knew her. We were thankful that she was relieved from pain and suffering and was at peace and rest at last. She was a worthy woman and always a cheerful giver to the cause of truth and a scrupulous tithe payer, and was a good example to all and a very faithful Latter-day Saint. She had a retiring disposition. She was buried from the 16th Ward. Bro. Wm. Leatham, Edward Parry, Bishop Durant spoke, the Jessie Evans Quartette sang “Perfect Day” etc. Many friends showed her great respect by their presence and the floral offerings were very beautiful.

The girls and I made the best of it, and I continued research work in the Genealogical Library and worked in the Temple, being set apart as a temple worker by Pres. Richards. I attended the Genealogical meetings, worked as a local missionary, and kept busy in church matters in which I received great comfort. In about two years I was called on a mission to England. About this time I was made acquainted with Sis. Millie Moss, and we mutually came together, being both interested in Genealogical and Temple work. We associated together about a month and I met all her relatives and friends who treated me fine. Millie’s nephew, Wayne Moss, was called to the Swiss-German Mission the same time, and they had a family gathering at William Moss’ home in Murray where James, Joe, and Jane, Millie’s brothers and sister, and other relatives were present and I was introduced as Millie’s intended, and we all enjoyed a wonderful evening together. Millie and I kept up a correspondence while I was in England, to our mutual enjoyment. Millie had been head lady in the dressmaking department.

During this time, I was very busy getting ready for my mission to England, and had a farewell testimonial in the 34th Ward, at which Alice Webley Folland sang, among others who took part. I was set apart with eleven others who were going to Europe, and we had bid our loved ones an affectionate farewell.

We were a lifely lot, and enjoyed the views and sights along the way, and got well acquainted in a short time. We passed the great lakes on our way to Toronto, from which port we sailed down the St. Lawrence River. On the open sea we felt the chilly blasts as we took our exercise on the outer decks of the steamer Melite, after our morning’s devotional in our berths. I was sick one day, red herring helped. We had a pleasant voyage, and a good time together, we had a study period each day. We were 7 days on the water.

At Liverpool we were met at the docks by Elders from the Church office, and took bus to Durham House, where we met Pres. Orson F. Whitney, Pres. Of the European Mission and Brother Wmm. A. Morton. I was assigned to labor in Blackbury under Elder Owen Woodruff, District President. George Patrick was secretary of the district, and we all got along fine together. Elder Free was my first companion in tracting. The Saints were all very good to us, and we enjoyed our association with them.

At this time there was much agitation against the Mormons. Lectures and pictures shows roused the people, and newspaper articles were daily giving distorted views about our activities and our faith, which roused the English people against us. Winifred Graham was very bitter in her lectures and we had to combat all this hatred daily, but it all cemented the Saints closer, and the spirit of the Lord was with those who lived their religion. (Satan in top hat and cigarette in Temple according to lying report) Bro. Ingalls and Finlayson tarred and abused in Scotland, Edinburgh.

Phonograph - My mother’s voice was reproduced on a wax cylinder, which she had spoken into some years previously, and it sounded familiar.

Frank and Edie were very much prejudiced against Mormonism, and did not want anyone to know that Frank’s brother was a “Mormon Elder”, as that would interfere with their business in the shop. Frank sent me a letter while I was at Sidmouth saying he never wanted to see me again. While tracting around his home, I called several times, but could not see him. Just before leaving England for home, I saw them both and wished them goodbye. He died in Oct. 1932, and since then I did his work in the Temple.

At Christmas time 1931, I went to Cheltenham to visit my Brother Frank and Sister Jennie, and they were glad to see me. I stayed a few days at Franks’ and visited boyhood friends and enjoyed recalling old times of 42 years ago, when we left England. Went to the Devonshire St. School where I was educated, and Frank Wheeler, son of my old schoolmaster was principal. He asked me to speak to the upper grade boys, which I was glad to do, referring to the Saints crossing plains, showed pictures of Salt Lake and told of Tabernacle organ, etc. Boys carol singing reminded me of my doing the same thing in my youth.

Went down to Sidmouth Devonshire to visit my sisters. Loui had never married and lived with Alice, whose husband, Eli Hill, had dies a few your previous to that time. My sister Annie had married George Radford of Sidmouth and he had two sisters and they had nice homes and we all had a fine time together. It is a seaside resort in South Devon on the English Channel, and is a very pretty place.

Returning to my labors - Labored in Morcambe with Elder Free for 6 months, and we both purchased bicycles on which we traveled during our labors. Mr. Lancaster & Sister Lancaster were very kind. Tresnor family non-members enjoyed us. A minister visited our lodgings and said he would head a mob to drive us out. I was visiting at the time, but Elder Free told me when I returned. On Sunday I visited his church, pacified him, and bore my testimony to which he listened.

Returning to my labors in Lancashire, I was transferred to Nelson, where I had a young companion named Ralph Bailey, and we enjoyed the work there together, Elder Parkinson and I were called tot Accrington to open up a branch and it took us a month to get lodgings there, as the people were all so prejudiced against the Mormons. We put ads in the local papers, and when we received answers and visited dozens of places, we were told that they could not have Mormons in their homes. We held our meetings at Sis. Lancaster’s, the Bell family and saints. Finally a widow lady named Scholes accepted us on recommendation of police captain and we enjoyed her home. The saints were glad when we organaized a Sunday School and I was made Superintendent, but shortly after I was called to go to Cheltenham, the town in which I was born, and where I spent the last seven and a half months of my mission. Elder Wendell Anderson of Salt Lake was a new arrival and we pulled in and did a lot of tracting and visiting.

I did considerable genealogical work at St. Mary’s Parish Church on our lines, aided by Mr. Harvey the verger, the 15th century records being written partly in Latin. I made many friends in Cheltenham. We held our meetings at Sister Hogles’ home.

Elder Anderson and I went to London, where we met Apostles Smoot and Widtsoe and all the British Missionaries enjoyed speaking on a stand in Hyde Park and bearing testimony to a large crowd. Visited Houses of Parliament - Westminister Abbey, museum, Tower of London. Met Sir James Tynte a g g gardiner who introduced me and my companion in the House of Lords, etc.

My release came in December, when I traveled north, staying in Birmingham. Visited all the old schoolboys I could and attended a banquet at George’s Tea Rooms, at which Old Boys from India and different foreign countries were present. When my name was mentioned from Salt Lake City, America, they all took notice and later on I was beseiged with questions. Visited well remembered places in Birmingham, where we had lived where our first son Freddy was born; Library, Aston Hall Grounds etc. Jack Powis’ grocery (George’s brother). Stayed a few days at LDS headquarters, Sis. Taylor looking after us.

(Passport had to be vised at police station when we removed from one town to another and stamped and signed with date so we were all kept track of.)

Arriving at Liverpool, I found a New Year’s party on at Durham House, and I joined in with Elders and Saints and had a jolly time. Pres. McKay and Wm. Morton being leading spirits. After all joining hands and singing “Auld Lang Sine”, we retired. Next day after turkey, plum pudding, etc. in company with two Elders, we sailed on the Emperor Wilhelm’s new yacht. This ship was a yacht built for the German Emperor to tour the world when he won the war, but he was disappointed. Princess Louise was Empress of Scotland and the yacht was called the Princess Louise, but renamed by the British “Empress of Scotland” on her maiden trip. There were only about two dozen passengers, but a full crew. After a very tempestuous voyage, we arrived in New York, where LeRoi Snow met the ship at the dock and after passing through the Clearing House, he escorted us on the under-the-Hudson-train to Brooklyn headquarters. Pres. B. H. Roberts presided at the spirited meeting on Sunday. I had called up Richard Folland at the Palisades Apts. And he was at Sunday School and later he took me to him home for the night. The Elders and I had visited around in the New York, the Woolworth Bldg. Battery. Wonderful view of river, docks, city, Goddess of Liberty, etc. Dick Folland took me to his office near Times Square and Flat Iron Bridge. We crossed over the noted Brooklyn Bridge, and saw three other immense bridges spanning the Hudson.

Leaving New York, I went to Buffalo and took a trip to Niagra Falls alone which I enjoyed in the snowy, frosty weather. It is a wonderful sight!, to look up at the Falls from below and to look down from above.

On to Chicago alone where I stayed a day visiting around. On the train was Clarence Neslen and William Wallace and we rode on to Ogden where George, Alice, Lily and the kiddies met me and we had a reunion. Alice and Bob had sold their home on 7th West Salt Lake and were living in Odgen where was partner in the Electric Co. He sold out later and bought the Flowers Apt.

Arriving in Salt Lake on M’nday at 8:30 p.m., I walked to the 16th Ward where a Stake Priesthood meeting was in progress. Carrying my valise, etc. I was escorted to the stand, and Pres. Nephi L. Morris suggested that as I was still on my mission, I be ordained a High Priest., which was done by him and my name was placed on the Home Mission list. I enjoyed by labors in that capacity in the various wards.

I lost no time in seeing Millie Moss with who I had corresponded while in England, and renewed our acquaintance, and we were married in the Temple on the 20th of June, 1924, by Apostle James E. Talmage. Millie, born 14 March 1971, is the daughter of Thomas Moss, born 25 Sept. 1841, of Manchester, England, who emigrated to Utah in 1863 on the sailing ship Hudson. Her other was Fannie Elizabeth Goodman Moss, born 28 Dec. 1839 the Civil War. She carried her oldest son, William Thomas Moss, 7 months old, over a thousand miles across the plains.

Millie and I spent our honeymoon at the Hermitage, Ogden Canyon. Of course we had had the parties etc. We were both set apart as workers in the Salt Lake Temple, and enjoyed working in those capacities. We both did considerable research work in the Genealogical Society Library of which I was a life member. Millie entered into the activities of the 34th Ward. Was class leader in the Relief Society, member of the Stake Temple committee, etc. and made many friends in the Ward.

My daughter, Lily, married John Davis, 10 Dec. 1925, and our home at 229 N. 7th W. Being too large for us two, we disposed of it and the furniture, previous to going to Mesa, Arizona.

We went with the Tabernacle Choir to California on an excursion 23 July 1926, and visited around with the Lloyd Family, Hollywood Bowl with Choir, Life of Christ for two weeks. We bought a Ford car and drove to the Arizona Temple Dedication, and stayed and labored in Temple for five months. During the Temple Christmas Holidays, Millie drove us to California, going through Imperial Valley to San Bernardino. Saw Rose Carnival at Pasadena. We returned by scenic highway along the Pacific Ocean to San Diego, and enjoyed it very much, passing all the resorts on the way. Arriving safely back at Mesa, we did more work in the Temple. I enjoyed singing in the choir and associating in the ordinance and baptism work. We returned to Sale Lake for the April Conference in company with Samuel Weston and wife, of Logan. We all attended one session in the St. George Temple together.

While in Mesa we met the Tresnon family whose father and mother had been so good to us Elders in Lancaster, Eng. They took us to the Roosevelt Dam.

We visited various places of interest while in Arizona, where oranges, grapefruit, dates, and semi-tropical plans grow; also thousands of acres of lettuce, Went to Tucson passed Harold Bell Wright’s place of residence, attended Papago Indian Saints fast service etc.

In 1928 we obtained an Oldsmobile and were in a collision on 8th East and Millie was badly injured and went to the L. D. S. Hospital for a few days. We were living in the First Ward, and had both been called on a mission to California when the accident happened, so we were delayed for a month. We had a very nice farewell party in the Amusement Hall; Alice coming down from Ogden to sing.

We went to the L. D. S. headquarters at Los Angeles and Pres. McMurrin sent us to Santa Ana, and we enjoyed our labors there under Pres. Merrill Reynolds and Whitehead, tracting and preaching etc. We started our classwork at 8 o’clock in the morning, then went tracting, visiting Saints, etc. We had many kinds of experiences as we went from door to door, all of which were very interesting. Once a week we held open air meeting us to call at night when he would be home. We did so, and Ed Chandler and wife became our nearest friends then. After about four months’ labor, one day I was tracting alone wile Millie was at Relief Society meeting and a git and run driver knocked me down and left me for dead. I was taken unconscious to the Orange County H!sptial where I laid for a month with a fractured pelvis. Went to Venice to recuperate for a month, when I was able to cast aside my crutches.

We were released from our mission and returned to Salt Lake, and were soon back to work at the Temle again, feeling fine. We lived in LeFrnd Ward awhile then went to Will Boam’s. When the Temple Square Hstel was opened, we lived there the winter the L.D.S. Centennary was in progreee. There was a pageant in the Tabernacle and I was invited to take part in that marvelous pageant which lasted a week and represented one of the Twelve.

In July 1932 we drove down to Manti Temple with Bro. And Sis. Weston. They hired a cabin across the street but we slept in our car very comfortable in the Temple Park, and in the morning lit our fire and Millie cooked our breakfast, then we would get ready and go up to the Temple. We did this for a week and thoroughly enjoyed the primitive outing. Salt Lake Stake had a car caravan to Manti Temple for a day while were were there and John Davis and Lily came down.

We left Manti and with the Westons we went on to Richfield where we located Q. David Hanson’s father’s harness shop. He was glad to see us and invited Millie and I to his home, where we met his wife and two children. She recognized me as one of her son Q. David’s missionary companions in England, and we all had a jolly time. We went on next day to Fish Lake for two days then went on to Bryce Canyon and Zion’s National Park, through Mt. Carmel Highway and tunnel, one of the most marvelous engineering feats in the world. Everything was most wonderfully grand. Coming on through Fillmore on our way home we had camped on the ground the previous night, and were wakened by the noise of firecrackers and guns, and found a 24th of July parade was on.

In July, 1933, a party of 28 Temple workers went in a bus to the Cardston Temple Alberta, Canada, and all had a flouious time. We sang the songs of Zion, etc. and saw all the sights along the way. Went through the Glacier National Park and at the Temple were well received by Pres. Wood and workers. We all did endowments. Visited wonderful lakes and forests of Glacier Park which extends many miles in Canada and the U. S. I visited Elder Williams & wife at their home, as Millie was indisposed. He had labored in Cheltenham, England, was just leaving after I arrived there.

We had visited the Mennonite colony the previous night. They were living in a community style.

I injured my hand by falling on an uneven pavement in the dark.

Returning, we journeyed through Yellowstone Park, where we enjoyed the wonderland once more. Then home to Salt Lake.

Fred J. Webley’s own had written history ends here. I can only add a little from memory - He and Millie Moss lived in the Belvedere Apartments for a number of years and then built a new little home on 2nd Avenue between L St. And M St. I don’t remember the circumstance of Millie’s death. I seem to remember she died of a heart ailment, being a very large overweight woman. Grandfather died some time after that at my mother’s home (Alice, his daughter) of cancer of the stomach.

He remained very active in the Church and at the Temple almost to the very end.